Saturday, May 22, 2010

An Open Letter to a Girl at Panera

I feel a bit silly handing you this note, as if it were something passed to you during 7th grade Social Studies.

However, due to the specific circumstances under which we keep meeting, this seems the most effective and discrete method of communication. I hope you'll indulge me your patience as I try to explain myself:

A - I like going to that particular Panera. It is close to my apartment and provides a pleasant, daily escape from my work

B - I like you. You seem interesting and cute. I'd like to sit and chat to get to know you better, but...

C - The register line is a wholly inadequate place to do this. With hungry people waiting behind me and you coworkers listening on, I can't help but feel anxious when we talk.

So this is what I propose:

1 - I will give you my cell # (XXX) XXX-XXXX
2 - Use it or discard it at your discretion.
3 - Regardless of any meeting we do or do not have, I will greet you at work only with a kind of distracted, professional courtesy.

I really don't want to make Panera uncomfortable for either of us. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment